Navy captain accused of killing Navy vet, contractor after an alleged affair with his wife

In this June 3, 2014, image, Navy Capt. John R. Nettleton, then-commanding officer of Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, speaks during a Battle of Midway commemoration ceremony. Nettleton is accused of killing Navy veteran Christopher Tur (right) after having an affair with his wife, Laura Tur (right). (Navy/Pinterest)

A Pennsylvania woman is watching as the the Navy captain charged in relation to the death of her son finally goes to court after nearly half a decade.

Ann Marie Tur has waited long for Navy Captain John Nettleton’s day in court, particularly in relation to the 2015 death of her son, Christopher Tur, in Guantanamo Bay.

“We have been waiting for four years- four long, torturous years,” Tur said.

Nettleton has been charged with obstruction of justice, concealment, falsifying records, and making false statements during the investigation of Tur’s death.

A civilian contractor and Navy veteran, Tur had confronted Nettleton at the base Officer’s Club, claiming that the captain had slept with Tur’s wife. Demanding satisfaction, Tur later went to Nettleton’s home and got involved in a fight that left the former injured.

The next day, Tur was declared missing. The day after, he was found dead in Guantanamo bay.

Tur’s mother doesn’t believe her son was capable of such violence.

“I love my son, I do, but he couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag,” she said.

According to The Reporter, the Department of Justice claims Nettleton lied to his superiors and failed to mention the fight at his residence. In addition, he failed to report the accusations of the affair and “persisted in concealment and false statements as the search for Tur, and then the investigation into the circumstances of his death, continued.”

Tur and his wife had been at Guantanamo bay since 2011, and Tur was quite popular with his employers at the Navy Exchange.

Tur had reportedly called a friend, saying that he had knocked Nettleton out. Around the same time, Nettleton’s daughter texted a friend, saying that her dad was drunk and fighting.

“My dad’s really drunk and some other dude is here and they’re like getting into a fight downstairs and I’m hiding,” the text said.

Nettleton had mentioned that Tur had been at his home, but denied any altercation took place.

Initiating the search for Tur after he was declared missing, Nettleton had personnel search for clues at the officer’s club, not around his home. When a bloodied paper towel was found in Nettleton’s yard, Nettleton dismissed it.

“One of the Navy personnel recovering the item stated that it appeared to have blood on it. Nettleton responded, ‘That’s probably nothing.’ DNA testing later confirmed that the stain on the paper towel was a match for Tur’s DNA.”

Tur’s autopsy revealed three broken ribs and a head injury, something Ann Marie Tur feels is consistent with a fight.

“Nettleton claimed he never let him in the house, and there was blood found in the house, and there was blood on the steps, going down to the water,” she said.

The case against Nettleton is being investigated by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

“They did warn me when this happened, it wasn’t going to be solved in half an hour. But who would’ve ever thought it would take four years? And not to get the verdict, what I really wanted,” Ann Marie Tur said.

The case is scheduled for trial on May 6.

© 2019 Bright Mountain Media, Inc. All rights reserved.

The content of this webpage may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written consent of Bright Mountain Media, Inc. which may be contacted at, ticker BMTM.


Post navigation