The parents of two Americans killed in the 2012 terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Libya filed a wrongful death lawsuit in a federal court against Hillary Clinton on Monday.
According to NBC News, Patricia Smith and Charles Woods -the parents of slain Americans Sean Smith and Tyrone Woods- claim that Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server were contributors to the attacks, as well as accusing her of defaming the bereaved families in public statements.
“The Benghazi attack was directly and proximately caused, at a minimum by defendant Clinton’s ‘extreme carelessness’ in handling confidential and classified information,” such as the location of State Department employees in Libya, the lawsuit said.
While there has never been a conclusive connection established between Clinton and US Ambassador Christopher Stevens, such information “easily found its way to foreign powers” and into the hands of Islamic terrorists, the lawsuit claims.
FBI Director James Comey said that it was “possible that hostile actors gained access” to the information on her private server, but that the FBI could not find any direct evidence that the server was successfully hacked.
The bereaved parents also claimed that Secretary Clinton met with them after their sons were killed, though the then-Secretary of State blamed a YouTube video for the attacks.
However, the parents later claimed that she denied making such a statement and implied that they incorrectly remembered the incident.
Patricia Smith personally blamed Clinton for the death of her son at the Cleveland-based Republican National Convention earlier this year.
Clinton campaign spokesman Nick Merrill said that “While no one can imagine the pain of the families of the brave Americans we lost at Benghazi, there have been nine different investigations into this attack and none found any evidence whatsoever of any wrongdoing on the part of Hillary Clinton.”
One campaign official noted that the lawyer representing the two survivors -DC-based lawyer Larry Klayman- is a long-standing critic of the Clintons and a member of the anti-Clinton “Freedom Watch” group.
Sean Smith joined the Air Force in 1995 and served six years, achieving the rank of staff sergeant. At the time of his death he was working for the State Department Information Management Officer and was only supposed to be in Benghazi a few weeks. He was posthumously awarded the U.S. Department of State’s Thomas Jefferson Star for Foreign Service on May 3, 2013.