The Department of Defense announced Thursday that the University of Phoenix is barred from recruiting on military facilities and troops can no longer use federal money for classes at the for-profit school.
The university system has been subjected to scrutiny by the DOD and Congress for months following alleged ‘improper recruiting and marketing practices’ there.
In June, Sen. Dick Durbin (D., Ill.) sent a letter to the Sec. of Defense, requesting an investigation into the “school’s recruitment efforts on bases.”
The investigative journalism site Reveal exposed that the school was “paying the military for exclusive base access, held recruiting events promoted as resume workshops and handed out challenge coins with military insignia used without permission.”
Last year, the University of Phoenix received $20 million in military tuition assistance, according to the site. The Department of Defense will no longer send assistance money to the University – which has about 200,000 enrolled civilian and military students.
The Univ. of Phoenix is a major provider of classes to active duty troops, reservists and National Guardsmen, and provides on-campus and distance learning, according to a Wall Street Journal report.
But a DoD spokesperson says, “The institution will not be authorized access to DoD installations for the purposes of participating in any recruitment-type activities.”
She added: “No new or transfer students at the institution will be permitted to receive DoD tuition assistance.”
Officials said the university has been placed on probationary status. However, current students on tuition assistance will be allowed to continue their programs.
Copyright 2015 Bright Mountain Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.