An active shooter has been “neutralized” at a United States Navy air base in Corpus Christi, Texas officials said Thursday.
A female security force member was injured and taken to a local hospital, Steve Strickland, a spokesman with Navy Region Southeast told military newspaper Stars and Stripes. Strickland told the outlet the sailor is in good condition and expected to be released Thursday.
Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi sent a message to students saying the situation at the base is resolved and there is no threat to the Island Campus.
The base has been home to Naval pilot training since 1941, according to its website. The base went into lockdown advising those in or near the north gate to get to safety and remain indoors and away from windows, officials said earlier.
Naval Criminal Investigative Service, Texas Department of Public Safety and Corpus Christi police were on scene.
A Corpus Christi police SWAT trailer was seen entering the base about 9:50 a.m.
Several hours after the incident, officials said the base would enter a “modified lockdown” meaning that people who need to leave are able to do so through the south gate.
“All gates remain closed to inbound traffic,” officials said in a release. “All personnel remaining on base should remain in place until the scene is declared safe.”
The Corpus Christi Police Department said both gates are shut down due to an “incident at one of the gates” and advised the public to avoid the area entirely. The U.S. Navy confirmed on Twitter that the shooter had been neutralized and said more information will follow.
Previous security incidents at the base
Four unrelated security incidents occurred at the base in 2019.
In early February, Daniel E. King, 37, was fatally shot after he was accused of stealing a vehicle and entering the base through the south gate, before crashing into a barrier at the north gate.
Later that month, the main gate was blocked for nearly two hours after a wanted vehicle was stopped by security after a military working dog alerted to the truck. There was a “be on the lookout” warning on the truck and the driver was detained.
Then on Oct. 8, Brian Dale Robinson, 47, was charged with destruction of government property and possession of a stolen firearm after he was accused of ramming a stolen truck into the barricade of the base’s north gate.
In late October, base officials shared details of projects intended to enhance security, including new perimeter security fencing, turnstiles, vehicle sliding gates, surveillance systems with cameras and access controls, and miscellaneous sidewalk, driveway and landscaping improvements.
On Dec. 11, verbal threats from a Corpus Christi Army Depot employee prompted a lockdown, but no shots were fired and there were no injuries reported, according to a Facebook post.
Security apprehended the suspect for questioning without injury, and the gates were reopened to normal traffic, the release states. Initial reports said the suspect was armed, but Public Affairs Officer Francoise “Fifi” Kieschnick confirmed the suspect was not armed when detained.
©2020 USA Today
Visit USA Today at www.usatoday.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.