1. Amanda Justice of Grimes, Iowa, center, visits the grave of her husband Army Staff Sgt. James Justice in Section 60, who was killed in Afghanistan on April 23, 2011.
2. A spontaneous prayer circle forms as people visit Section 60, where many of the soldiers who died in Iraq and Afghanistan are buried, on Memorial Day in 2014. JACQUELYN MARTIN AP
3. Nicki Bunting sits with her children, Connor, 2, and 7-month old Cooper, at her husband and their father, Captain Brian Bunting’s grave at Arlington on Father’s Day. Bunting, 29, of Potomac, Md., died February 24, 2009 in Kandahar, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. Four days after he died his wife found out she was pregnant with Cooper. JUSTIN MERRIMAN
4. Laura Youngblood weeps over the grave of her husband Travis L. Youngblood at section 60 Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day in 2014. (Pete Marovich/EPA)
5. Reitred Lt. Col. Joe Rippetoe and his wife, Rita, accept a flag that covered the casket of their son, Capt. Russel Rippetoe, during his funeral April 10, 2003, at Arlington National Cemetery. Rippetoe was killed in Iraq when a suicide bomber detonated a vest at a checkpoint. Chuck Kennedy/MCT
6. Brooke Nyren, 13, kisses her father, Staff Sgt. Nathaniel Nyren’s headstone at Arlington on Father’s Day. Staff Sgt. Nyren was killed in Iraq in December 28, 2004. JUSTIN MERRIMAN
7. Sarah Stancyzk lays covered up at the gravesite of her husband Pfc. David Metzger who was killed in Afghanistan in 2009, at Section 60 in Arlington Cemetery, November 11, 2013. (Mark Wilson/Getty Images)